Andreas Nüchter is professor and chair of robotics at University of Würzburg. Before fall 2022 he was associated professor (tenured) for telematics at University of Würzburg and before summer 2013 he headed as assistant professor the Automation group at Jacobs University Bremen. Prior he was a research associate at University of Osnabrück. Further past affiliations were with the Fraunhofer Institute for Autonomous Intelligent Systems (AIS, Sankt Augustin), the University of Bonn, from which he received the diploma degree in computer science in 2002 (best paper award by the German society of informatics (GI) for his thesis) and the Washington State University. He holds a doctorate degree (Dr. rer. nat) from University of Bonn. His thesis was shortlisted for the EURON PhD award. Andreas works on robotics and automation, cognitive systems and artificial intelligence. His main research interests include reliable robot control, 3D environment mapping, 3D vision, and laser scanning technologies for various applications, e.g. for planetary exploration, safety security and rescue robotics, or underwater inspection. Andreas developed fast 3D scan matching algorithms that enable robots to perceive and map their environment in 3D representing the pose with 6 degrees of freedom. The capabilities of these robotic SLAM approaches were demonstrated at RoboCup Rescue competitions, ELROB and several other events. He is a member of the GI and the IEEE.
- Since 2022 chair of robotics at Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg, Germany.
- July 2022 Offer of the W3 professorship for robotics at University of Würzburg, Germany.
- Jan. 2021 Offer of the W3 professorship for robotics at University of Osnabrück, Germany.
- 2013 - 2022 Professor of Computer Science, University of Würzburg, Germany
- Nov. 2012 Offer of the tenured professorship of Computer Science at University of Würzburg, Germany.
- 2009 - 2013 Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
- Dec. 2008 Offer of the W1 professorship of Computer Science at the Graduate School of Computational Engineering, Technical University Darmstadt, Germany.
- Dec. 2008 Offer of the Assistant Professorship of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
- 2007 - 2008 External Lecturer, University of Koblenz-Landau, Germany
- 2007 - 2009 External Lecturer / Visiting Professor, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
- 2004 - 2009 Research Associate, University of Osnabrück, Germany
- 2002 - 2003 External Lecturer, Fachhochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg, Sankt Augustin, Germany
- 2000 - 2004 (Student) Research Assistant, Fraunhofer Institute for Autonomous Intelligent Systems (before 2001: GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology), Sankt Augustin, Germany.
- 1999 - 2000 Teaching Assistant, University of Bonn, Germany.
- 1999 Working Student, RWE Energie AG, Essen, Germany.
- 1999 Teaching Assistant Washington State University, Pullman, U.S.A.
- 1996 - 1998 Working Student, RWE Energie AG, Saffig, Germany.
- 2002 - 2006 University of Bonn, Germany (Dr. rer. nat., similar to PhD).
- 1999 - 2002 University of Bonn, Germany (Dipl.-Inform., similar to M.Sc. computer science).
- 1998 - 1999 Washington State University, Pullman, U.S.A. (exchange student).
- 1996 - 1998 University of Bonn, Germany, (Vordiplom, similar to B.Sc. computer science).
- 1992 - 1995 Bertha-von-Suttner-Gymnasium, Andernach, Germany, (similar to highschool).
- 1990 - 1992 Georg-Cantor-Gymnasium, Halle, Germany, (similar to highschool).
- 1982 - 1990 Polytechnic school, Halle-Neustadt, Germany (East).
- 3D Laser Scanning
- Robot Vision
- Robot Control
- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM, 6D SLAM)
- Sensor Data Processing
- Robot Control Architectures
- Sensor Based Path Planning
- Online Exploration
- Knowledge-Based Systems
- Cognitive Science
- Artificial Intelligence
Research community services
- Associated Editor IEEE Transactions on Robotics, since 2023
- General Chair, LowCost3D in Würzburg, Germany
- Associated Editor IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 2018 - 2023
- Program Chair (Europe), IEEE SSRR 2020 in Abudhabi, UAE
- General Chair, IEEE SSRR 2019 in Würzburg, Germany
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ISMAR 2018 Tutorial Large-Scale 3D Point Cloud Processing for Mixed and Augmented Reality in Munich, Germany
- Program Chair (Europe), IEEE SSRR 2018 in Philadelphia, PA, USA
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ICRA 2015 Tutorial Industrial Applications with Large-Scale 3D Point Cloud Processing in Seattle, WA, USA
- Co-Organizer, IAS-13 Tutorial Data Structures for Large 3D Point Cloud Processing in Padova, Italy, 2014
- Co-organizer, IEEE ICAR 2013 Tutorial Large-Scale 3D Point Cloud Processing Tutorial 2013 in Montevideo, Urugauy
- Local Chair, IEEE ICRA 2013 Challenge Virtual Manufacturing Automation Competition
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ICRA 2013 Workshop on Semantic Perception, Mapping and Exploration in Karlsruhe, Germany
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ICRA 2012 Workshop on Semantic Perception, Mapping and Exploration in St. Paul, MN, USA
- Managing guest editor, Special Issue Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems (Elsevier) on Semantic Perception, Mapping and Exploration, 2012
- Co-Organizer, tutorial at KI2011: SLAM to the rescue: A hands-on tutorial on using state of-the-art SLAM algorithms in harsh environments, Berlin, Germany
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ICRA 2011 Workshop on Semantic Perception, Mapping and Explorationin Shanghai, China
- Co-Organizer, IEEE ICRA 2010 Workshop on Best Practice in 3D Perception and Modeling for Mobile Manipulation
- Program chair, IEEE International Workshop on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR 2010 )
- Associated Editor IEEE ICRA and IROS, 2009 - 2018
- Lecturer IK2008, Günne, Germnay
- Organizer, Tutorial on SLAM in Freiburg, Germany
- Member of the IEEE Technical Committee on Safety Security and Rescue Robotics.
- Co-Chair, Poster session at the 30th Annual German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, in Osnabrück, Germany
- Co-Organizer, Workshop Robotic 3D Environment Cognition, Bremen, Germany
- Lecturer Rescue Robotics Camp 2004, Rome, Italy
- Various reviewing work and committee memberships for workshops, conferences, and journals
- Dean of Studies (Studiendekan) Computer Science in Würzburg, since 2014
- Coordinator graduate program Computer Science - Smart Systems (MSc), 2011 - 2013
- Personal tutor (Vertrauensdozent) of the Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V. (GI) at Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH, 2009 - 2013
- Member of the board of management (Institute of Computer Science, Osnabrück), 2006 - 2009
- Member of the examination board Master of Science in Computer Sciene, Osnabrück, 2006 - 2007
- Member of the appointment commission for Software Engineering in Osnabrück, 2006