Depending on the individual situation and goals there exist various possibilities for studying abroad.
- To collect ECTS in courses/exams in a foreign university one has to be enrolled there. Different exchange programs support such experiences, e.g, the TASSEP grant, which waives the fees in northamerican universities, or an Erasmus grant, which provides additional financial support for studying at a partner university. A holistic overview on the different partners and programs is provided by the International Office.
- Another possibility is to study abroad in the role of the "Free mover", so independent of diverse support programs. Albei, a learning agreement with the department coordinator is required (FAQ -> Learning Agreement).
- Working with well-known scientistics and research groups abroad can be advantageous for example for the thesis. Usually, one does not have to be enrolled at the target university. The only things required beforehand are a supervisor at the JMU and logistical arrangement (health insurance, visum, ...).
To find the best solution for everybody the International Office can be contacted.
In the following the process of applying for an Erasmus+ position over one of the chairs of Computer Science is described. The application process and the requirements can differ from applications which are directly handled by the International Students Office. Information on the application at the International Students office can be found here.
Please apply until the 31. January with the following documents
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcript of Records, e.g. from WueStudy
- If necessary a proof of language competence for the course language of the partner university
- If necessary a recommendation letter
Please inform beforehand at the coordinator if a recommendation letter is required.
After successful application the following administrative steps have to be performed, too.
Nach erfolgreicher Bewerbung kommen noch folgende administrative Schritte auf Sie zu, die Sie bitte noch erledigen.
- Please complete the declaration of acceptance and upload the signed document on the online platform of the International Students Office. A registration on the online Portal MoveOnline of the International Students Office is herefore required. The deadline is 31. March.
- Afterwards you are nominated at the partner unversity by the International Students Office or the coordinator. To finalize this nomination, often an additional registration on the online portal of the partner university as well as the upload of the application documents is required. Since this process may vary between the universities, please inform yourself about the concrete course.
- Finally, the Learning Agreement has to be completed and it must be signed by the coordinator of the institute as well as by the coordinator or International Students Office of the partner unverisity.
In case of questions or uncertainties please contact the Interational Students Office or the departmental coordinator.
The number of Erasmus+ positions is determined individually for each partnership and can be derived from thecontracts listed on the page of the International Student Office.
Below "Mobility numbers per academic year" the information is given in the column "Number of student mobility periods". The number always relates to a complete college year, so a winter term and a summer term.
The required language competenes for the application and successful participation in the courses is determined by each partner university.
You can find information about the course language and the recommended language competence in the Erasmus+ contracts, here.
If a proof of language competence is required, can also often be found on the website of the partner university or the fact sheet, which provide many partners.
The Learning Agreement specifies which courses you would like to visit at the partner university and which of this courses will be approved in Würzburg after successful completion. You therefore are guaranteed that the completed courses are added to your transcript of records.
If necessary the Learning Agreement can still be adapted during your studies abroad.
In case of questions regarding the courses please contact the foreign coordinator which can be taken from the contracts. The sample applies for questions regarding equivalent courses. This coordinator is also responsible for signing the document. Please send the Learning Agreement, which has to be signed, to the coordinator before.
To approve successful course completions the transcript of records, provided by the exchange partner, must be sent to the Prüfungsaussschuss. It shall thereby be sent via mail directly to the head of the Prüfungsausschuss.
The detailled procedure for approving the achievements specified in the learning agreement can be found here: https://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/fileadmin/32020000/Auslandsamt/Auslandsstudium/Allgemeine_Informationen/Anerkennung.pdf