Deutsch Intern
Institute of Computer Science

FAQ Outgoing

Depending on the individual situation and goals there exist various possibilities for studying abroad.

  • To collect ECTS in courses/exams in a foreign university one has to be enrolled there. Different exchange programmes support such experiences, e.g, the TASSEP grant, which waives the fees in selected northamerican universities, or an Erasmus grant, which provides additional financial support for studying at a partner university. Participants of the Erasmus+ programme can also be granted specific financial top-ups, e.g. for a single parent, for disabilities or for green travel. You should seek individual counsel with the International Students Office. The International office als provides an up-to-date overview of all exchange programmes.
  • Another possibility is to study abroad in the role of the "Free mover". As a free mover you organize your exchange on your own, independent of any exchange programmes provided by the university. This means that tuiton fees are usually not waived and receiving additional funding is challenging. Free mover still need to have a learning agreement with the department coordinator (FAQ -> Learning Agreement), but further information is only available through the International Students Office.
  • Working with well-known scientistics and research groups abroad can be advantageous for example for the thesis. Usually, one does not have to be enrolled at the target university. The only things required beforehand are a supervisor at the JMU and logistical arrangement (health insurance, visum, ...).
  • Internships in the EU can also be supported through Erasmus+. Such an internship can be conducted indepedent of or together with an Erasmus student exchange. Internships do not need a learning agreement. The international students office is responsible for internship applications.

To find the best solution for everybody the International Office can be contacted. 

In the following the process of applying for an Erasmus+ position over one of the chairs of Computer Science is described. The application process and the requirements can differ from applications which are directly handled by the International Students Office. Information on the application at the International Students office can be found  here.

Please apply until January 15 with the following documents

  • Cover letter
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Transcript of Records, e.g. from WueStudy
  • If necessary a proof of language competence for the course language of the partner university
  • If necessary a recommendation letter

Please inform beforehand at the coordinator if a recommendation letter is required.

After successful application the following administrative steps have to be performed, too.

  1. Please complete the declaration of acceptance and upload the signed document on the online platform of the International Students Office. A registration on the online Portal MoveOn of the International Students Office is herefore required. The deadline is March 31.
  2. Afterwards you are nominated at the partner unversity by the International Students Office or the coordinator. To finalize this nomination, often an additional registration on the online portal of the partner university as well as the upload of the application documents is required. Since this process may vary between the universities, please inform yourself about the concrete course.
  3. Finally, the Learning Agreement has to be completed and it must be signed by the coordinator of the institute as well as by the coordinator or International Students Office of the partner unverisity.

In case of questions or uncertainties please contact the Interational Students Office or the departmental coordinator.

The number of Erasmus+ positions is determined individually for each partnership and can be derived from thecontracts listed on the page of the International Student Office.

Below "Mobility numbers per academic year" the information is given in the column "Number of student mobility periods". The number always relates to a complete college year, so a winter term and a summer term.

Some international internships require that you have a signed internship agreement, in some countries like France, Spain or Belgium this might even be generally required. Those agreements define and regulate the internship contents, duration, working hours as well as insurance questions. They may also include intellectual property and confidentialty clauses.
The University of Würzburg cannot sign any agreement which would make the university liable in such an internship. The International Office therefore provides an official internship agreement without such regulations. You can find the form and further instructions and information on international internships on the pages of the International Office.

The required language competenes for the application and successful participation in the courses is determined by each partner university.

You can find information about the course language and the recommended language competence in the Erasmus+ contracts, here.
If a proof of language competence is required, can also often be found on the website of the partner university or the fact sheet, which provide many partners.


The Learning Agreement specifies which courses you would like to visit at the partner university and which of this courses will be approved in Würzburg after successful completion. You therefore are guaranteed that the completed courses are added to your transcript of records.

If necessary the Learning Agreement can still be adapted during your studies abroad.

In case of questions regarding the courses please contact the foreign coordinator which can be taken from the contracts. The sample applies for questions regarding equivalent courses. This coordinator is also responsible for signing the document. Please send the Learning Agreement, which has to be signed, to the coordinator before.

To approve successful course completions the transcript of records, provided by the exchange partner, must be sent to the Prüfungsaussschuss. It shall thereby be sent via mail directly to the head of the Prüfungsausschuss.

The detailled procedure for approving the achievements specified in the learning agreement can be found here: 

To ease this process, please fill out the linked document​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ and submit it later. The module abbreviations should be from the corresponding module manual or website: